Subject: Re: Fractint 2.1 is here!
From: [email-masked] (James Cooper)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 13:11:42 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Terje Pedersen) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bruce Baltzer) writes:
>|> [email-masked] (James Cooper) writes:
>|> >In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Terje Pedersen) writes:
>|> >>  The manual now has a lot of slightly incorrect information since the
>|> >>  interface is changed to MUI. Some of the ...
>|> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>|>
>|> >Oh, well.  So much for that.  I was hoping to see a better version of
>|> >Fractint, but now that you've made it rely on MUI, I'll just forget
>|> >about it...
>|>
>|> >I know some folks really like MUI, and it does have a couple of nice
>|> >features, but there's no way I'll use a program that requires it unless
>|>
>|> I agree... I personally don't like MUI.  Having a program require a certain
>|> library is one thing, but requiring a complete set of programs and graphics and
>|> such I really don't agree with.  MUI is slow, too...
>|>
>
>You must be joking right? as for the size of the lib : arount 170k
>if you have that little hard disk space left, well then thats not the
>mui's fault. or if you've got a 68000 its not the mui's fault either.
>The size is about the same as the post.library and it too is slow on a
>plain 68000. Can't blame postscript for that, can you?

No, no joke at all.  My machine at home is an A3000/25, and I currently
have about 400Meg or so free (just added a new drive :-), so its not the
space.

I just don't care for the MUI setup.

>The only thing you need is the muimaster.library! no other files
>is required! If you installet the whole thing it might get big.

Its not as useful or interesting without all the extra files.

I also don't install anything that requires ixemul.library, and I'm
about to start nuking anything that requires reqtools.library, when all
that is used from reqtools is also available in the OS.  Yes, reqtools
is really nice for 1.3 compatibility, to give a consistent interface,
but when its used in a 2.1+ ONLY program...

Just a personal "thing" here.

>If enough people wanted a plain old text only interface I might
>make one.

No, I don't want a "plain old text only interface" on Fractint.  What I
would prefer is for people to use what's in the OS itself...

-- 
---------------
Jim Cooper
([email-masked])                             bix: jcooper

Any opinions expressed herein are mine (Mine, all mine!  Ha, ha, ha!),
and not necessarily those of my employer.

Remember, "Euphemisms are for the differently brained."